Sometimes, you may need to duplicate a Contact Form 7 (CF7) form on your current website to another website.
Manually copying the form can be time-consuming and prone to human errors. Contact Form 7 Skins now offers a better way to duplicate a Contact Form 7 form across multiple websites by exporting it from one website and importing it into another one.
In this article, we describe the complete process of exporting individual CF7 forms from one WordPress website and importing these CF7 forms to another using CF7 Skins.
Advantages of Export and Import of Contact Form 7 forms
Export and import of Contact Form 7 forms provides the following advantages:
- Easily create duplicates of the same form across multiple WordPress websites.
- Share your forms with colleagues to let them create your forms on their websites.
- Save a form as an exported backup and store it outside of WordPress.
Enabling Export in Contact Form 7 Skins Settings
The feature to export a CF7 form is disabled by default. Therefore, you need to make sure that exporting is enabled in CF7 Skins Settings before exporting a form. To enable export:
1. Go to Contact >> CF7 Skins Settings.
Tip: You need WP Administrator level access to go to the CF7 Skins Settings page.
2. Select Enable export of individual CF7 Skins form.
3. Click Save Changes.
Tip: You can now export & import individual CF7 forms on your websites or share the exported files with your colleagues to help them create the same form on their websites.
After enabling export, you can export a CF7 form using the following steps:
1. Go to your Contact Form.
2. Click Export Form.
Tip: The Export Form button is only displayed if you have enabled export in your website.
3. Provide a name for the exported file and click Save.
Tip: Make sure you give the exported file a name that clearly identifies it & save it in a location where you can easily find it again.
To import a previously exported form:
1. On your WordPress website, go to Tools >> Import.
2. Select Run Importer under WordPress.
3. Select Choose File.
4. Open the file you want to import.
5. Click Upload file and import.
6. You can assign the form to the same user or choose one from your current WordPress website.
7. After assigning an author, click Submit.
Tip: To import the original author of the form, you can click Submit without making any changes in this page.
After importing the form, you can find the new form in the Contact >> Contact Forms page.
Tip: The newly created form is exactly duplicated from the exported file. However, WordPress assigns a different id to the new form.